Job Description – Business Engagement Manager
Business Volunteers Maryland is a nonprofit organization that plays a unique and important role in connecting motivated and civic-minded people and businesses with nonprofit and community organizations through meaningful leadership and volunteer opportunities. Business Volunteers recognizes that strategically engaging expertise in the community is at the core of transformative social change and was created to facilitate volunteer connections where time, talent, and experience truly can help to address social issues and challenges and build strong and thriving communities.
Business Volunteers is able to achieve its goals and mission by developing partnerships with local businesses. Through an annual business partnership contribution, we help our business partners strategically engage their employees in the community through a variety of programs and services including: providing consulting on employee volunteerism and strategic engagement in the community, developing and executing a strategic community engagement plan, creating meaningful group volunteer opportunities, training and matching business professionals with nonprofit boards, and facilitating civic leadership programs, and other custom training sessions and events.
About the Role
The Business Engagement Manager is responsible for growth and strengthening our business partnerships, ultimately increasing their level of engagement with Business Volunteers and the community. This position is a hybrid role with a minimum of two days per week in the Federal Hill office; in-person meetings with business partners and other stakeholders are a requirement of the position.
Key roles and responsibilities for this vital position include:
Partner Services & Engagement
- Manage relationships with an assigned portfolio of business partners to ensure effective communication and engagement, ensuring strategic programs and services are provided and sponsorship benefits are fulfilled.
- Support new partner on-boarding and delivery of corporate community engagement consulting services to business partners, including but not limited to: establishing company-based volunteer programs, initiating business/nonprofit partnerships, and establishing corporate giving priorities.
- Oversee communications for business partners including proposal development and presentation, employee interest surveys, promotion of training sessions and events, communication toolkits for employee engagement, quarterly business emails, newsletters and service reports.
- Deepen relationships with partner companies including establishing new relationships with potential “champions,” conducting in-house presentations, recruiting program participants, and development of Employee Resource Groups relationships.
- Meet with key decision makers and influencers to identify new strategies and areas of interest within the business partner operation.
Event Leadership and Oversight
- Support the scoping and presentation of nonprofit partners for specific business partner programs and interests.
- Attend, facilitate, and oversee programs and events to ensure all runs smoothly and immediate action is taken should needs arise.
Manage business development and growth services including:
o Actively work with current business partners to ensure annual partnership renewal and the identification of new revenue streams and growth potential.
o Support the process for prospect development and engagement including research, planning, meeting and events, and proposal creation.
o Assist with business development related marketing tools and communications.
While all Business Volunteers Maryland employees have assigned duties and responsibilities, we work together to support large-scale programs and initiatives, and other duties as needed to ensure all deadlines are met and all programs are successful.
Qualifications that will help you succeed in this role:
o Must be passionate about community engagement and have a strong drive to achieve ambitious goals.
o Experience working for a business or for-profit organization and comfort with business vocabulary, decision making processes, and budget cycles is an asset.
o Corporate Social Responsibility, B-to-B business development, and relationship management experience is a plus.
o Proven relationship builder who demonstrates ability to establish trust and rapport with partners at all levels including C-Suite and senior executive contacts. Experience in a customer relationship management role is a must.
o Quality-focused professional who seeks to ensure all interactions and experiences with Business Volunteers are impactful and achieve shared goals for success.
o Must possess a can-do, solution-oriented attitude.
o Self-starter with the ability to work alone and also on a variety of teams and projects, with both internal and external contacts.
o Attention to detail to ensure documentation accurately reflects agreements, commitments, and tracking for renewals.
o Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required, experience using Salesforce preferred.
Compensation Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
Applications including a cover letter describing your interest, qualifications and why you are the perfect candidate, and your resume should be sent to: [email protected]. To expedite the internal sorting and review process, please include your name (Last, First) and “Business Engagement Manager” in the subject line of your e-mail.
*Business Volunteers Maryland is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate in our hiring or employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by State or Federal law.
At Business Volunteers Maryland, we define ourselves as community engagement experts. Along with our mission “to inspire volunteerism and connect motivated people and businesses to nonprofit organizations leading to stronger communities,” BVM’s core focus is building the communities around us, including internally!
The BVM culture goes together with our mission … we inspire each other to build better processes, better outcomes, and a stronger community, for us and the world around us.
- We love to give back: in volunteer hours, helpful connections and supporting community efforts.
- We support each other.
- We challenge our assumptions and our processes to work smarter.
- We love to learn.
- We respect work/life balance.
- We have a collective great sense of humor!
Not much can top that, but there are many other benefits to working at BVM!
- Paid time-off for Federal Holidays, plus the week between Christmas and New Year’s
- Accrued vacation time
- Personal Leave
- Paid time off for volunteering (obviously!)
- Access to Health Benefits, FSA, Life & Disability Insurance, and Retirement Plan
- Federal Hill office location with parking (or a bike rack if you prefer)
If you want to work for an organization while you become more involved in your community, and where you can work with a smart, creative, and supportive team, well, you have made it home.
Email: [email protected] to find out about open positions.